[TxMt] Word Count ?

Paul McCann paul.mccann at adelaide.edu.au
Thu Nov 30 06:23:07 UTC 2006

Mark Eli Kalderon wrote:

> There is a limit to how fast an accurate utility could be if it is
> to accommodate the kind of procedural aspects of LaTeX syntax that
> Haris was referring to.

Indeed: but all that work has already been done, as the command is
operating on the pdf file. So the real question becomes: why is
ps2ascii (aka ghostscript) so slow? (Just checked on my work machine,
a 2GHz intel iMac with 2G of memory, and it's still about 30 seconds
on a 250 page, 1.2MB pdf file.)

I guess it's just an irreducibly difficult procedure... Moral of this
story? Don't count words very often!

Cheers,
Paul