[TxMt] Re: How about AppleScript HTMLizer ? was (Re: output pretty printing HTML in "Show as HTML" [SOLVED])

Adam Bell bellac at accesscable.net
Mon Nov 20 15:13:29 UTC 2006

This is a project of interest to me too, although I've not seen any
such colorizers that were either complete (as Jacob Rus points out,
that depends on application dictionaries), nor have I seen any that
were really successful. I suspect there's a lot of work to be done
there and I'm only starting to look at it.

Colorization is based on parsing the script into these categories:

New Text
(editors show uncompiled text in a different color from those below)
(so this is not an important category for colorization of working scripts)

After compilation, these categories apply:
Operators (+, &, > etc.)
Language Keywords (e.g. selection, file , current date, etc. defined
in the AppleScript resource)
Application Keywords (e.g. Calendar in iCal, defined in the
application dictionary)
Comments (blocks defined by --  ...  return, or (* ... *)
Values (numbers, strings, etc.)
Variable and Handler names (defined terms not belonging to the list above)
References (not sure about this category)

A colorizer must assign a unique color to each, and it must be able
to recognize that certain keywords are not single words, but groups
of words - do shell script " text ", as alias list, etc.

One of the best I have seen (but don't have code for) was written by
John Nathan (often seen as Jonn8).

Adam