[TxMt] LaTeX bundle really slow

Christian Bogen christian.bogen at fastmail.fm
Sun Nov 19 11:23:35 UTC 2006

Am 17.11.2006 um 15:25 schrieb Emmanuel Turquin:

>  Editing a LaTeX file seems particularly slow on my powerbook, even
> for a relatively small file (a mere 200 lines). Every time I enter
> a new character, the editor freezes for like 1/10 of a second...
> Has anybody experienced the same kind of pb?

Are you working with "Spell Checking as You Type"? If so, that might
be the cause. Working 1st generation 867 Mhz 12" PowerBook I've got
the same problem. The only "solution" right now seems to turn off
spell checking while actually typing.

I've brought this issue up on the list a few month ago but IIRC
basically Allan didn't feel like investing any time/work because
modern Macs are so much faster that it's not an problem there. It's a
bit of a bummer for users who cannot afford to buy a new machine
every two years or so (and for a text editor! ;).

As far as I understand, it's not really a "TextMate-only issue" for
the actual spell checking mechanism is provided by OS X.

And to be fair, back than I also gave (the than brand new) BBEdit 8.5
a whirl to see if things are better there -- and they are not! BBEdit
behaved just as sluggish as TextMate with live spell checking ...!

Christian