[TxMt] Quoting Pattern in Latex-Bundle shown as invalid

Niels Kobschätzki n.kobschaetzki at googlemail.com
Sat Nov 18 07:12:21 UTC 2006

On Nov 18, 2006, at 7:41 AM, Paul McCann wrote:

> Haris asked... (re the "<  and >" quoting commands):
>
>> When I try to compile a file containing these lines, it shows up
>> pretty bad. Is this something standard in LaTeX? Does it depend on
>> some special package perhaps? I have literally never seen these
>> before. Then again, there's a lot of LaTeX things I haven't seen
>> before.
>
> I think they give "reverse guillemot-like" quotes when used in
> German: so, for example, if
>
> \usepackage[german]{babel}
>
> is in the document's preamble you can use "< to produce << (OK, a
> glyph something like this...).
>
> So a working example would be

> =
> \documentstyle{article}
> \usepackage[german]{babel}
>
> \begin{document}
> And someone on AOL said ">ich auch!"<
> \end{document}
> =
>
> Yeah, yeah, I have no idea re German!

It seems to depend on \usepackage[german]{babel} or \usepackage
[ngerman]{babel} (I tried it with english and french and that didn't
work).
The example above ("> <") works but I've never seen it this way, the
right order would be ("< ">).
This style of enclosure is very common in Germany in fictional texts
(most of my scientific books are in English so I can't verify what's
"normal" there).
The result of this style can be ssen in the attached screenshot: