[TxMt] silly question about the zoom button

Don Kalar donkalar at gmail.com
Fri Nov 17 19:00:04 UTC 2006

On 11/16/06, Dan Lowe <dan at tangledhelix.com> wrote:

> That's not how Safari works, actually. The standard behavior in most
> Mac apps is to maximize to "as big as needed to show the window
> contents". So Safari will expand horizontally to the width of the
> page (if there is one) and the height of the page (which on most
> pages is probably longer than your screen can show, so it goes as
> tall as it can). If you go to a page and make Safari nice and skinny
> and click the zoom control, it will probably increase its horizontal
> size (but not to the entire screen width) as well as its vertical
> size. YMMV depending where you visit to test this... but that's how
> it works on my site.

Which is why I suggested that the horizontal window size zoom to the
longest line, though now that I think about it more, that preference
would interact with having soft wrap enabled. When writing code I turn
off soft wrapping, so in that case the horizontal expansion would be
ideal (sadly there are times when you inherit code that doesn't
conform to a reasonable 78 character/line limit), but when writing
prose in latex, markdown, etc., then I have soft wrap enabled, and
would want only the vertical expansion on zoom.

That being said, I'm still more interested in 2.0 moving forward than
I am with the nuanced behavior of gumdrops.

cheers,
-don