[TxMt] tm_dialog: *.plist | pl -> utf8 problem

Hans-Joerg Bibiko bibiko at eva.mpg.de
Fri Nov 17 09:32:46 UTC 2006

I believe I found a solution by myself.

Instead of using 'pl' you can do same with the command 'defaults read
PLIST'.
The only thing is that the encoding of non-ASCII characters is
different from 'defaults read PLIST key'. I don't know why????
But anyway it should work.

On 17 Nov 2006, at 10:08, Hans-Joerg Bibiko wrote:

> Hi,
>
> sorry if my question is a bit off topic but I couldn't find any
> information.
>
> I'm just writing a tiny perl script which converts non-ASCII
> characters coming from 'defaults read ...' to utf-8 because I want
> to simplify the interaction between BASH and tm_dialog. This works
> perfectly even with utf-16 surrogates.
>
> But then I was a bit naïve! I thought that 'pl' outputs non-ASCII
> characters in the same way, but it didn't.
>
> E.g. an German umlaut 'ö' stored in a xml plist format is outputted
> as '\U221a\U2202'!!
>
> Has someone an idea what kind of 'format' it is? I found no
> documentation.
>
> Or could it mean that 'pl' do not support utf-8 string at all?
>

> Thanks for any hint
>
> Hans

Hans-Joerg Bibiko
Department of Linguistics
Deutscher Platz 6     phone:   +49 (0) 341 3550 341
D-04103 Leipzig       fax:     +49 (0) 341 3550 333
Germany               e-mail:  bibiko at eva.mpg.de