[TxMt] silly question about the zoom button

Dan Lowe dan at tangledhelix.com
Fri Nov 17 06:42:17 UTC 2006

On Nov 16, 2006, at 5:57 PM, Jay Soffian wrote:

> TextMate's zoom button (the green jewel in the title bar) maximizes
> windows to the full screen. Great on my 12" PowerBook. Highly
> annoying on my 24" iMac. I'd rather it maximize vertically only.
> This behavior seems to vary across OS X applications (Safari only
> maximizes vertically e.g.). Any chance there is a hidden preference?

That's not how Safari works, actually. The standard behavior in most
Mac apps is to maximize to "as big as needed to show the window
contents". So Safari will expand horizontally to the width of the
page (if there is one) and the height of the page (which on most
pages is probably longer than your screen can show, so it goes as
tall as it can). If you go to a page and make Safari nice and skinny
and click the zoom control, it will probably increase its horizontal
size (but not to the entire screen width) as well as its vertical
size. YMMV depending where you visit to test this... but that's how
it works on my site.

  -dan

--
It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no
distinctly