[TxMt] Open TextMate thru smate via mate) was (Open TextMate Here)

Jay Soffian jay-txmt at soffian.org
Thu Nov 16 20:33:09 UTC 2006

On Nov 16, 2006, at 3:07 PM, Dirk van Oosterbosch, IR labs wrote:

> Now the Terminal is saying "no smate in /usr/bin /bin /usr/sbin /
> sbin".
> Don't get it though, since 'which smate' gives '/Users/dirk/bin/smate'
> (and from my understanding that's what the Applescript should be
> doing, right?)

The problem is that whichBin function in the script which (no pun)
uses "do shell script". Do shell script just invokes /bin/sh w/o
sourcing any of the users environment. You'll see this if you open up
script editor and run the following script:

do shell script "env | sort"

So you just get the default login environment's PATH.

So you've got two options:

1) Use .MacOSX/environment.plist to modify the PATH that is part of
your login environment. Google on "environment.plist" if you need
more information...

2) Just edit the script to have a hard-coded path to wherever you
chose to install smate.

However, all of this raises the question: how often do you guys go
editing privileged files that you need not only a CLI wrapper around
mate, but a droplet to boot? What are you people doing? :-)

j.