[TxMt] Altered per-word movement (control-left/control-right versus option-left/option-right)

Allan Odgaard throw-away-1 at macromates.com
Wed Nov 15 17:09:27 UTC 2006

On 15. Nov 2006, at 16:44, Tom Armitage wrote:

> Apologies if I'm being stupid, but since a recent auto-update, the
> behaviour of holding option and ctrl with the cursor keys has altered;
> I think this is related to an item I noticed in a changelog.

That would probably be:

[CHANGED] The sub_word movement functions now also do CamelCase in
addition to underscore_words. The default key bindings for these
functions (move, select, and delete) have been changed to only use
control as modifier (previously control + option was required) --
ticket 11746E04.

> As it stands, Textmate is now using ctrl-left and ctrl-right for
> per-word selection, as opposed to option-left/option-right (unlike
> every other OSX app I have).

It does word movement on option, like any other OS X app, and it does
sub-word on control, like Xcode, BBEdit, and Code Warrior (I think).

> Similarly, double-clicking is now
> selecting a sentence, not a word. This is more than a mite annoying
> for most work I do, with both text and code.

This is not default -- did you alter word characters in preferences?
It should just be an underscore. Maybe you added a space.

> Is the behaviour I describe the default now, or has something odd
> happened on my install? If the former, how do I change it... and if
> the latter, how do I revert it?

I would suggest not reverting the sub word, it takes a week or two to
relearn to use command for begin/end line stuff, but when you have
learned it, you have 3 navigation tools instead of just two.

But for reverting it, the simplest is probably for you to just record
a macro and save om ctrl left/right. See Key Bindings in the manual
for other solutions.