[TxMt] tm_dialog/ib question

Allan Odgaard throw-away-1 at macromates.com
Wed Nov 15 15:37:22 UTC 2006

On 15. Nov 2006, at 15:16, Jay Soffian wrote:

> On Nov 15, 2006, at 8:57 AM, Allan Odgaard wrote:
>> At that point, you got to ask yourself why use tm_dialog at all,
>> i.e. why not write it in Objective-C or use one of the Python/Ruby
>> Cocoa wrappers.
> True but then its windows wouldn't be owned by TextMate ... wasn't
> that part of the point of tm_dialog?

It was one of the advantages with the current implementation, yes.
But the point with tm_dialog is to provide a simple way to bring up
dialogs slightly more complex than what CocoaDialog offers -- while I
do see a few possible evolutions of tm_dialog, like the ability to
have it return and receive a new data model while the dialog is still
up (using the stdin/out pipe), I don’t plan to extend it much
further, as far better results can be obtained by simply writing
“real” code instead of relying on what tm_dialog offers.

If your reason for wanting to pursue tm_dialog with callback hooks is
to have windows owned by TM, then I think a better approach would be
to look into extending the TM dialog server protocol with a method
more suitable for callers who want to have code running while the
dialog is up -- or perhaps more appropriately, introduce an API for
dynamically loadable (and unloadable) plug-ins.