[TxMt] Writing Bundle [was: Lookup current word in Dictionary.app]

Mark Eli Kalderon eli at markelikalderon.com
Wed Nov 15 14:09:29 UTC 2006

> 5. Some commands for getting better statistics than the current
> document statistics count.  It would be nice to have a word count
> which knows how to ignore stuff in html/latex/markdown tags, etc.
> etc. (or maybe bundles can provide overrides to this command, and
> all call out to a single script), but it would also be nice to be
> able to get some readability statistics, such as counts of average
> word length, average sentence length, and maybe metrics like Flesch-
> Kincaid, etc.

> 6. It might even be nice to add some tools for checking grammar
> (flagging things like wordy sentences, etc.).  There are some
> decent open-source programs for this, I believe.

Jacob, you might have a look at diction, a descendant of the Writer's
Workbench:

http://directory.fsf.org/GNU/diction.html

The `style` command gives a number of metrics including Flesch-
Kincaid and `diction` checks for grammar (although it perpetuates
some of the unfortunate aspects of Strunk and White's prescriptions---
useful nonetheless).

As for filtering LaTeX commands, I run the generated pdf through
ps2ascii before running these. Won't work for html documents, but you
could run them through a text browser like lynx or links with the
dump option instead.

All the best, Mark