[TxMt] diff vs opendiff

Allan Odgaard throw-away-1 at macromates.com
Sun Nov 12 05:54:37 UTC 2006

On 11. Nov 2006, at 02:31, Jay Soffian wrote:

> On Nov 10, 2006, at 12:46 PM, Dave Winzler wrote:
>> - side-by-side diff (love BBEdit!)
> This reminds me. I was surprised to find that the Diff bundle does
> not support using Xcode's opendiff. Is this just an oversight
> (either in the bundle or by me), or does no one care for opendiff?

The Merge Selected Files… uses opendiff. As for oversight/not caring:
personally I am not too fond of opendiff -- I only have a dozen or so
lines that are different, opening the full document and having to
locate the differences in there, tends to be tedious.

> In general it seems like it would be useful to be able to
> generically configure all the bundles to use opendiff where it
> makes sense to use it as a replacement for /usr/bin/diff. This
> would be settable via something like TM_USEOPENDIFF or some such. I
> know there's certainly times when I'd prefer to have the Subversion
> bundle diff for me using opendiff.

For the subversion bundle, you can set TM_SVN_DIFF_CMD to the diff
command you want to use.

Though for opendiff I believe you need a wrapper script, due to
argument incompatibilities.