[TxMt] Another Editor War Sparked by TextMate

thomas Aylott oblivious at subtlegradient.com
Fri Nov 10 17:08:04 UTC 2006

On Nov 10, 2006, at 11:52 AM, James Edward Gray II wrote:

> This is all just my opinion though.  Other's obviously feel
> differently.

I, too, was a BBEdit power user for a long stinkin time.
I was even starting to try and learn their bizarre language
definition stuff to make my own language syntaxes when I switched
over to TextMate.

The Rails screencast got me interested in TextMate again. But I
totally switched because of Projects and Themes. Not having to use
the finder is a major advantage. (Sure, BBEdit has some sort of
feature for multiple files now, but it still doesn't make any sense
to me)

I really miss the Balance Tags command and the way it handles non-
word characters and cursor movement / selections. (stops between html
tags, etc...)
But I'm in the middle of trying to write my own Balance Tags command,
so that shouldn't be a problem for long.

I used to write all kinds of crazy scripts with applescript to make
BBEdit do all kinds of crazy stuff. But with Ruby and TextMate, I can
do a thousand times better with a billionth of the code.

thomas Aylott — design42 — subtleGradient — CrazyEgg