[TxMt] Re: Another Editor War Sparked by TextMate

Allan Odgaard throw-away-1 at macromates.com
Fri Nov 10 16:30:32 UTC 2006

On 10. Nov 2006, at 16:51, Matt Neuburg wrote:

> Okay, but why *does* TextMate's Undo behave this way? It's a hassle
> for me

For me the step-by-step undo is 100% predictable, and that makes me
more efficient; I know that if I did an error 3 steps ago, I need to
press ⌘Z 3 times, and make the correct steps after that.

Chunked undo screws up my workflow because I have to look and take
notice at how much ⌘Z removed, and then “plan” the next
appropriate step in my mind, meaning I can’t be mentally ahead of my
editor, I need to re-calibrate, so to speak.

Of course it doesn’t help that I have basically always used editors
with step-by-step undo, and I had a really hard time adapting to
NSTextView’s chunked undo, because it seemed to skip the
intermediate steps that I actually wanted to get to, when I used undo.

But I have acknowledged that the majority of users really want
chunked undo, and it is the standard on the Mac -- when I don’t jump
right on it, it’s because there’s really a lot of things I should
also jump on then. But speaking to users at WWDC did make me consider
strongly to move it forward from the 2.0 release, seeing how it was
basically the only thing people mentioned, and it was mentioned a lot
from users who was otherwise quite fanatic about the program.