[TxMt] TextMate bookmark and MacBookPro keyboard weirdness

Steve Lianoglou lists at arachnedesign.net
Fri Nov 10 14:54:22 UTC 2006

Hi Giulio,

> when I want to set a bookmark with the Command-F2 shortcut, I need to
> press the Command key first, the 'fn' key second (otherwise the F2 key
> increase the brightness of the screen instead of passing the value to
> the application), and F2 last.
>
> If I press the 'fn' key first and the 'Command' key second, the
> bookmark is not set.

The behavior you describe is not limited to TextMate as you should
see it happen with any program that includes an F* key combo along in
some chording sequence.

You can either get used to this "feature" anytime that you need to do
a key combo that includes any function keys (so, you just have to
press the fn key *right before* the function key), or you can switch
the behavior of the F* keys in the Keyboard Preference Pane by
turning on the check box that says "Use the F1-F12 keys to controls
software features".

I chose the latter of the two options :-)

HTH,
-steve