[TxMt] DarwinPorts or Fink

Jeroen van der Ham jeroen at je-ju.net
Thu Nov 9 19:10:34 UTC 2006

I'm a big fan of MacPorts.
I have tried Fink for some time, but in my experience it sometimes
messes in places that it shouldn't (i.e. anything outsides /sw), and you
never see that in MacPorts.

Rick Gigger wrote:
> Also if DarwinPorts is now MacPorts then why are both
> http://darwinports.opendarwin.org/ and http://www.macports.org/ both
> operational?  Shouldn't the darwinports site be removed if it is just
> old stuff?  Or at least it should have a not pointing you to the newer
> macports site?

I heard that they are still in the migration process. They seem to be
wanting to do it properly this time and take the time to do it.

It does have a not on it pointing you to the new site though. Not
clearly listed, but it's there.

Also, they discourage manually changing the rsync server. The DNS
entries for the original darwinports rsync servers redirect to the
proper servers and may even update those redirects in the future.

Jeroen.