[TxMt] find/replace in column selection

Allan Odgaard throw-away-1 at macromates.com
Thu Nov 9 05:35:39 UTC 2006

On 9. Nov 2006, at 05:58, Leo Brewin wrote:

> I've just started using TextMate and I'm very very impressed. I've
> noticed the following behaviour and I wonder if anybody could let
> me know if this is a "feature" or  a bug.
>
> I make a column selection and I replace "foo" with "foobar". This
> increases the width of the column selection. Here is the problem --
> any continuous text that passed through the column will now be
> broken and expanded with spaces. This is not what I would expect
> and it will seriously limit my use of find/replace in column
> selections.
>
> Is this a bug? Or is it an operator error?

It is the intended behavior -- but it isn’t straight forward what the
result should be.

You do want to preserve the selection after the replacement -- so if
one of the rows grows beyond the initial selection, should that just
bleed outside it?

And if you have column data like:

    foo    bar
    fud    jaz

Select first column and replace (in that) foo with foobar, the result
will then be:

    foobar    bar
    fud       jaz

I.e. the columns still align -- seems to be a nice property.