[TxMt] DarwinPorts or Fink

Fred B fredb7 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 8 11:51:29 UTC 2006

On 11/8/06, William Scott <wgscott at chemistry.ucsc.edu> wrote:

> FWIW, I think it is inviting trouble to put either in /usr/local.  The
> whole idea for having /opt/local or /sw is to avoid conflicts, and in case
> of trouble, you can move or delete those directories easily.  Both make a
> point of keeping stuff isolated within their respective domains.  The
> advantages of this are large, and the inconveniences are neglegable.

I don't see why having e.g. ruby in /usr/local/bin would cause more
trouble than having it in /opt/local/bin, quite the contrary in fact.
On OS X, "official" packages are in /usr/bin and I don't touch those.
I read people telling they replaced /usr/bin/ruby and I think *that*
is the bad idea.

I use darwinports since as long as I've heard about it and never had a
single problem.

On 11/8/06, Steve Lianoglou <lists at arachnedesign.net> wrote:

> I still like to keep /usr/local/* open for my own-own-very-own
> sandbox when I find myself having to compile my own things, however.

I use ~/bin for that. It's easier to work in a non-hidden directory.

I guess there is not much point to argue anyway, to each his own.