[TxMt] PyMate in RUBY?!?!?

Jay Soffian jay-txmt at soffian.org
Tue Nov 7 01:04:10 UTC 2006

On Nov 6, 2006, at 1:43 PM, Alexander Ross wrote:

> I am the one responsible for the new PyMate.  It in Ruby because we
> are moving towards a unified script runner for TextMate which will
> allow all of the various scripting languages to benefit from an
> enhanced html output window, while reducing the amount of maintenance
> required to keep everything working.  pymate.rb will eventually be a
> subclass of a more generalized script runner which will be language
> indepedent.  It will perhaps be in another language, but that doesn't
> especially matter.
>
> Ruby does not run your python code.  Instead, a python subprocess is
> launched, the code is piped in, and the output is piped to HTML
> preview.  The custom exception handling is done using a special
> sitecustomize.py Python.bundle/Support/PyMate/,  that bit if code is
> in Python, and is quite nice.  To modify PyMate, the sitecustomize.py
> should be all that you really need to touch.
>
> I actually spent a few hours trying to reimplement pymate.rb in
> Python, but then realized I was wasting my time after a simple
> copy-paste from RubyMate had things working in 10 minutes flat.
>
> I think it is a testament to the power of both Python and Ruby that
> they are so easily melded into a working PyMate.
>
> Anyway, I hope you'll give the new version of PyMate a chance, and
> report any issues that you have.  I really would like it to work for
> you, regardless of the implementation language.

Alex,

Thank you for this work. On a related note, I'm the author of
pycheckmate (what runs when you syntax-check a python script from the
Python bundle). Is this impacted by the script runner changes?
(Sorry, just haven't had a chance to look...). I guess I'm asking if
I should try to make some time available to update pycheckmate to
work with the new script runner framework.

Thanks,

j.