[TxMt] PyMate in RUBY?!?!?

Alex Ross alex.j.ross at gmail.com
Mon Nov 6 19:38:15 UTC 2006

On Nov 6, 2006, at 11:28 AM, Bill Bumgarner wrote:

> On Nov 6, 2006, at 10:43 AM, Alexander Ross wrote:
>> I think it is a testament to the power of both Python and Ruby that
>> they are so easily melded into a working PyMate.
>
> First -- Alex:  Thank you.  Repeat: THANK YOU!   Your work fixes an
> output bug that was messing with my world.

Yes, but this program could be written in any language and it would
function in the exactly the same way.  pymate.rb doesn't actually
know anything about Python.  It just runs the python source through
cpython, and pipes the output back.

But you're right, they are basically the same.  I think Ruby is a
little more handy for quick shell scripts…  It's nice to not have to
`from os import environ` to get at the env.  also, you can just `echo
'write shell commands'` and get strings back.  that's pretty neato.

But don't get me wrong, I love python! :)