[TxMt] Bright, Patient Design

Jay Soffian jay-txmt at soffian.org
Sat Nov 4 18:55:53 UTC 2006

http://www.randsinrepose.com/archives/2006/10/31/
bright_patient_design.html

<snip>
I'm not a power user, but I know what I expect out of a good editor
and, well, BBEdit is a good editor, but whenever I fire it up I feel
like I forgot to read some imaginary manual called, "BBEdit Rocks.
Really." I suspect the fact that I didn't grow up with BBEdit is part
of the issue. The fact that I'm a pure Mac OS X guy with zero pre-Mac
OS X experience probably contributes to feeling like I'm missing part
of the BBEdit joke. Yeah, Zap Gremlins. Ha ha. I get it. Clever, but
great design?

My BBEdit ambivalence allows me to check out new editors as they
stream across my consciousness and, to BBEdit's credit, it's lasted
four years. I've test driven several editors during that time and
BBEdit remained my technical tool of choice, but it was only a matter
of time until someone else knocked my socks off.

The buzz around TextMate started many months ago, but it's when folks
started to ask me to order it that I started to pay attention. There
is no copy protection known to man that any bright engineer can't
circumvent, so when an engineer asks you to purchase the software
they're saying, "This is the shit. We should pay these guys for this
fine piece of work."

You bet I downloaded it.

After two steady months of TextMate, I'm happy to declare it my
editor of choice because it demonstrates a design philosophy I love.
Bright, Patient Design. I'll explain

</snip>

j.