[TxMt] Re: mate and file owner

Sat Nov 4 03:32:22 UTC 2006

On Fri, 3 Nov 2006 05:24:16 +0100, Allan Odgaard wrote:

> On 3. Nov 2006, at 05:09, Une Bévue wrote:
>
>>> This calls mate as super user, but mate only passes a file name to
>>> TextMate, which is still running as your regular user -- so this
>>> doesn’t work as you expect.
>> ok thanks, and using :
>> sudo open -a <absolute_path_2_TextMate> <my_config_file> would open
>> another TextMate ?
>
> No, it would effectively do the same as mate (i.e. sending the
> filename to TextMate).
>
> There basically is no way you can currently do what you want -- but
> since ‘sudo mate’ is (by several users) expected to transfer the
> super user privileges to TextMate (for just that file), I will look
> into how this could possibly be pulled off sometime in the future (it
> would be a nice little feature).

One hack would be to use something like my RemoteEdit scripts.

The script would need to:
   i) make a temporary copy of the file
   ii) open the file in TextMate for editing
   iii) On save or close, copy the temporary file back over the
original.

hrm.  In fact, as my scripts use scp, and that works locally as well
as remotely, my remoteEdit script should work just fine for this. :)

http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~willu/RemoteEdit/

sudo remoteEdit /my/local/file

should just work... but it doesn't.  sigh.  It has problems
forwarding the ODB suite AppleEvents between root and the normal
user.  It might not be too hard to work around that though.
*wanders off to think*

Cheers,

Will         :-}