Rép : [TxMt] mate and file owner

Une Bévue yt.trash at free.fr
Fri Nov 3 18:13:56 UTC 2006

>> something i didn't understood, suppose i write a wrapper to mate
>> "sudo_mate" even launching TextMate like that :
>>
>> sudo /Applications/TextMate/TextMate.app/Contents/MacOS/TextMate
>> blahblah
>>

> In my experience, any time I need to edit a file I don't have
> access to, TextMate will realize that and authenticate me so I can
> save the file. This probably requires you to be in the admin group,
> but then so does sudo (by default), right? The only possible
> drawback is that new files might not get root as the owner. But
> maybe in that case you could just do:

i just dis a small over a file on my desktop :

~/Desktop/sudo_textmate%> ls -al
-rw-rw-rw-    1 news  admin   122 Nov  3 11:01 essai-sudo-config

i open it with TextMate, add "Hello world !" inside and save it.

TextMate didn't ask in authetification and the file has now those
user:group :

~/Desktop/sudo_textmate%> ls -al
-rw-rw-rw-    1 yvon  yvon   140 Nov  3 18:16 essai-sudo-config

(yvon being my login name)

this should be considered as a bug afaik ?

TextMate would have either not open the file or ask for
authentification ...

I'm usinf TextMate Version 1.5.4 (1324).

also for mate it is, in my opinion, about the same because on my box
mate leaves in :

~/Desktop/sudo_textmate%> which mate
/opt/local/bin/mate

where all the bins are aware of which root|user opened a file...

best,

Yvon
Le 3 nov. 06 à 16:20, Rob McBroom a écrit :

> On Nov 3, 2006, at 12:06 AM, Une Bévue wrote:
>

>> something i didn't understood, suppose i write a wrapper to mate
>> "sudo_mate" even launching TextMate like that :
>>
>> sudo /Applications/TextMate/TextMate.app/Contents/MacOS/TextMate
>> blahblah
>>

> In my experience, any time I need to edit a file I don't have
> access to, TextMate will realize that and authenticate me so I can
> save the file. This probably requires you to be in the admin group,
> but then so does sudo (by default), right? The only possible
> drawback is that new files might not get root as the owner. But
> maybe in that case you could just do:

i just dis a small over a file on my desktop :

~/Desktop/sudo_textmate%> ls -al
-rw-rw-rw-    1 news  admin   122 Nov  3 11:01 essai-sudo-config

i open it with TextMate, add "Hello world !" inside and save it.

TextMate didn't ask in authetification and the file has now those
user:group :

~/Desktop/sudo_textmate%> ls -al
-rw-rw-rw-    1 yvon  yvon   140 Nov  3 18:16 essai-sudo-config

(yvon being my login name)

this should be considered as a bug afaik ?

TextMate would have either not open the file or ask for
authentification ...

I'm usinf TextMate Version 1.5.4 (1324).

also for mate it is, in my opinion, about the same because on my box
mate leaves in :

~/Desktop/sudo_textmate%> which mate
/opt/local/bin/mate

where all the bins are aware of which root|user opened a file...

HOWEVER other people don't have this experience with TextMate, they
have veryfied TextMate doesn't change file owber and asks for
authentification.

then the prob comes from my machine...

i'm wiping out TextMate and related to get a fresh install...

best,

Yvon