[TxMt] Re: python 'new function' command

Dirk van Oosterbosch, IR labs labs at ixopusada.com
Fri Nov 3 02:14:31 UTC 2006

On 6-okt-2006, at 0:19, Jacob Rus wrote:
>>> In general, I'm surprised that there hasn't been more progress on
>>> the
>>> python bundle, given how many people claim to use it.[^1]  I
>>> suppose I'm
>>> as guilty for this as anyone.
> [...]
> but more about the rest of TM's python users, who undoubtedly have
> come up with at least a few tricks of their own (I hope?!). :)  I
> keep getting sidetracked by other random projects (including other
> TM bundles, work stuff, my own fun things, etc.) but I'd like to
> figure out some more improvements to the python bundle myself too.

It's a late response, but
I'd like to apologize for myself :-|
I guess when I hack away in the Bundle Editor, it is mostly things I
just need right now for this specific project, or it is on my Cheetah
bundle, I've been toying with privately.

> [...] Anyway, us TM python users need to start adding useful stuff
> to the bundle.  It's hard to think of things, given that the
> language is pretty low on extraneous baggage, but I'm sure there
> are places where we can speed ourselves up.

It's not so hard.
And in the light of the discussion started by Bill Bumgarner
yesterday [odd pymate output bug], I'd like to add my $0.02.

For me the three most important feature requests (for the Python
bundle and/or Textmate in general) are:

1. Automatic context-sensitive code-completion
Like the smart pop-up window that can be seen in XCode. The exact
behavior of the XCode autocompletion isn't always exactly my
favorite, e.g. it should (1) learn from completions previously used
(sort of how QuickSilver learns from my whims) and (2) it should
complete to parts of CamelCased or underscore_seperated_words too
(like the file completion in the Terminal works).
And since python is really strong in introspection, it could be
really smart in the context sensitivity. (Take a look at how ipython
completes to see what I mean).

2. Jump to the declaration or definition of a method or function
with ⌥⌘↑
Again, based on the python introspection it should be possible to
jump straight to the 'def function_name (args):' line of the .py file
where the module is defined, if you find 'function_name' somewhere
else in your project, and you want to track back what this function
does exactly.

3. Better (and perhaps online) documentation support.
I'm afraid to say, but ^H doesn't work for me the way it should. I
think it's great that python comes with so much documentation built
in, and I like the colors of the documentation page, but there I am
not finding what I am looking for. I always end up using google to
find the method or module in docs.python.org/ref/ or docs.python.org/
tut/. Can't we use these under ^H ?

best,
dirk