[TxMt] bug in latest python highlighter

Michael Bayer mike_mp at zzzcomputing.com
Wed Nov 1 01:17:52 UTC 2006

Im hoping this reproduces on other machines, this is with the latest
Textmate with all the halloween stuff that just downloaded last night.

the bug is that TextMate hangs totally when entering a particular
sequence of text, when Python highlighting is enabled.

Steps to reproduce:

1. create a new file.

2. Enter the following line (im sure lots of other text works, this
is the one i found):

print "registerprocessor", str(mapper), repr(processor.key), str
(mapperfrom)

3. save the file with a .py extension, say "foo.py"

4. make sure the "python" file type is selected at the bottom.  the
file should light up with the python highlighting.

5. place the cursor directly before the word "repr" in the above
string.  then, type this text within the line (type it by hand;
cutting and pasting doesnt seem to do it):

repr(processor),

6. on my machine, as soon as I type the right parenthesis, and then
try to type the comma, textmate completely hangs (via indefinite
beachball).

im gathering the python highlighting has an endless loop in it.  can
we revert to the previous highlighter ? it worked much better, this
one doenst even highlight consistently (i.e. variable names sometimes
come out *bold*, sometimes *italic*, etc).