[TxMt] Performance issues

Mikael Hultgren blomma at fastmail.fm
Sat May 27 11:47:12 UTC 2006

On 26 maj 2006, at 22.46, Timothy Reaves wrote:

> On May 19, 2006, at 10:20 AM, Allan Odgaard wrote:
>
>> On 19/5/2006, at 7:46, Chris Ridd wrote:
>>
>>> [...] Are these known problems?
>>
>> I am aware of TextMate’s performance profile, yes.
>>
>>> [...] I want to love TM but currently cannot :-(
>>
>> That’s okay, because TM would not be able to return your love.
>>

> 	I think this is an interesting response.  Here is a product
> developed heavily upon other open source or freely available
> software, where the author recommends that users seek support from
> the user community, and even a very large part of the functionality
> is written by the user community.  Yet TextMate itself is not open
> source, nor is it free.  So when someone asks about performance and
> whatnot, you can't simply say 'you get what you pay for', because
> TextMate does cost something.  And compared to other similarly
> complex software, it costs a lot.

Really, you think this costs a lot, i would say that TextMate is
cheap as hell. And alot of what drew me to it was the fact that there
was such an active community around it developing for it. Now that i
think of it that was the same reason that i started using emacs a
long time ago. And ofc Alan can say 'you get what you pay for',
although i dont think that is what he said, since you have a trial
period before buying TextMate to decide whetever to buy it or not.
And regarding the performance, a search on the mailing list would had
given him the answer to it.

> 	I too am concerned about the performance profile.  I am also
> concerned that nearly everything is done  with Regular Expressions,
> which I'm sure are in large part responsible for the performance of
> the app.  Regular Expressions can do an awful lot in the arena of
> text processing; but a lot of what an editor used by programmers
> needs to do can not be done at all, or at least very well, by over
> reliance on Regular Expressions.

Like what, give some examples please.

> 	So can you share more than a one sentence response on what we can
> expect in the way of performance, and API going forward?  I
> understand there is a version 2.0 due sometime.  Will this new
> version address the performance profile, and allow for other than
> RegEx for an API?

What kind of API do you want and what would it do that the current
cant do?

/Mikael