[TxMt] backup procedure?

Allan Odgaard throw-away-1 at macromates.com
Thu May 25 21:15:20 UTC 2006

On 25/5/2006, at 21:23, Chris Chapman wrote:

> Quick question that I cannot seem to find the answer to. After having
> customized all my snippets and such, what is the recommended backup
> procedure, so that I don't someday lose all my customizations?

    5.2 Editing Default Bundles / Items

    Some of the default items may not be to your exact
    liking, for example the coding style in snippets
    may differ from yours, so you may want other tab
    triggers, key equivalents, or similar
    modifications.

    If you edit a default item, a copy will be stored
    in ~/Library/Application Support/TextMate/Bundles.
    This copy will take precedence over the default
    version even after upgrading TextMate. All new
    items you create also end up in this location.

So backup ~/Library/Application Support/TextMate and it includes all
your custom stuff.

> [...] Will I need to write a script to exit the application before
> backup or is it possible to backup the bundles and all in-place
> with the app running?

TextMate flush to disk when you close the bundle editor (or
preferences window for themes). So it is not necessary to quit it to
backup bundles.

General preferences can be found as ~/Library/Preferences/
com.macromates.textmate.plist -- here you do need to quit TextMate to
ensure that changes done in the current session are flushed. The file
does however only contain things of minor value.