[TxMt] Re-enable Filtered bundles

Allan Odgaard throw-away-1 at macromates.com
Wed May 24 05:30:55 UTC 2006

On 24/5/2006, at 7:15, John Tsombakos wrote:

> Another thing I noticed, the list of bundles in the filter list
> isn't sorted.

Yes -- that’s also part of the “issue” :)

> One more question.. what's the preferred location for bundles?
> /Library/Application Support... or ~/Library/Application Support....
> (when doing a svn checkout?)

When you edit bundles from within TextMate, it will save your changes
to:
    ~/Library/Application Support/TextMate/Bundles

That means, if you do a svn checkout directly to this location, you
will edit the files from svn, and so, you may get merge conflicts and/
or you will have a very hard time separating your custom (new) stuff
from the stuff you checked out, e.g. if you want to zap the checkout
(unless you are somewhat skilled with svn and the shell).

Therefor I have recommended doing the checkout in /Library, as then
it will stay untouched by TM, and any customizations done, are kept
in ~/Library.

Starting with r1019 it is however now possible to keep things in
    ~/Library/Application Support/TextMate/Pristine Copy/Bundles

TextMate will install new bundles and bundle items to this location,
but it will never edit the bundles there. So this is the new
recommended location for additional bundles (it is better than /
Library in the sense that this is user-local, but effectively it is
the same).

I should add that (also starting with r1019) the customizations
stored in ~/Library/Application Support/TextMate/Bundles are actual
delta-files. Meaning that it is now possible to edit key equivalent,
scope selector, name, folding patterns of a language grammar, or
similar for a non-local item, and still see the other properties of
this item update in the future (when the non-local version gets
updated).