[TxMt] Noob: Snippets don't work?

Christopher Biagini lists at assortedgeekery.com
Fri May 19 19:42:58 UTC 2006

On May 19, 2006, at 2:45 PM, Bakki Kudva wrote:

> 1: I must be doing something really stupid but I don't seem to be able
> to get the Rails snippets to work when I hit tab on an IntelMac.

Be sure to first select "Ruby on Rails" from the pop-up menu at the
bottom of a document window, if it's not already selected. It's the
menu that says "Plain" in a new, untitled document.

Once you do that, to use a snippet, type the shortcut (usually in
parentheses after the title of the snippet), then press Tab. So
typing in, say, "logi<tab>" results in:

	logger.info "Current value is..."

> 2: I seem to be running textmate from the folder which comes up when
> you double-click on the .dmg file.  It takes two steps to launch it.
> Is this the preferred way to install it?

No. The DMG file is a disk image [1] and is merely a delivery vehicle
for TextMate. When you double-click it, it is mounted as any other
disk would be (such as a CD, if TextMate were sold in stores).

Drag the TextMate application from the mounted image into your
Applications folder to copy it there, and you can then "eject" the
mounted disk and throw away the disk image. To get to your
Applications folder, click the desktop to activate Finder and choose
Go > Applications from the menu bar. From then on, you can launch
TextMate from the Applications folder. If you want, you can also drag
the TextMate icon from the Applications folder to the Dock at the
bottom of the screen, and launch it from there.

[1]: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.dmg

--
Christopher Biagini
http://assortedgeekery.com/