[TxMt] Odd double-clicking on whitespace behavior - also selects tags

Brian Tully btully at gstockco.com
Fri May 19 19:14:32 UTC 2006

First thanks to everyone who replied to my previous question.

I'm noticing a very odd behavior when I try to delete whitespace
between two tags. Most (if not all) other text editors will select
just the whitespace when I double-click on the whitespace area.
However TextMate likes to also select the closing/opening bracket/
braces - which of course I don't want to delete.

So if I wanted to delete the space between <p>Hello              </p>

I can't double-click on the whitespace between "Hello" and "</p>"
without TextMate also selecting the "</" in the closing "</p>" tag.

Another example is if I have a closing brace "}" that is indented too
much and I want to line it up with its opening brace, I can no longer
double-click on the whitespace to the left of the brace without the
brace also being selected. In fact I wasted 15 minutes or so trying
to figure out how I broke a PHP script before it dawned on me that
when I deleted the whitespace I also deleted a brace.

Is there any preference or setting that changes this odd behavior?
I'm assuming TextMate does this for a reason, but I'm scratching my
head as to how this editing mode would be useful.

thanks in advance!

brian