[TxMt] Re: primer on markdown & textmate

Robert M. Ullrey robert_ullrey at mac.com
Thu May 18 22:43:39 UTC 2006

Alternately, you can "convert to HTML" and then run the Prince [1]
program to change it into a PDF with the ability to use CSS style
sheets for formating.  If you know CSS even a little you can turn
markdown and multimarkdown into a great publishing system (see:
<http://www.alistapart.com/articles/goingtoprint>).

I understand what you mean about the over use of MS Word in academia.
I have the same problems. I switched a longtime ago to writing in
LaTeX and while the pages are of an extremely high quality, and I
never have issues of fonts suddenly changing, or tabs or columns
changing, it can be frustrating that others at the university refuse
to change. My solution has been to change markdown into an RTF for
distribution if I want others to be able to write into the document,
or to PDF if only to review. When they send me text, I request .rtf
or .txt and not .doc . However, for those times when they do send
me .doc files, I just open and change them over to plain text and
then open in Textmate. One caution though is that .doc footnotes get
lost, so keep a copy of the .doc file for reference if needed.
Alternately, and if I have several files to convert, I use the mac
commandline program textutil to convert "textutil -convert rtf
foo.doc" converts foo.doc to foo.rtf.

Hope this helps too.
Robert

[1] Prince <http://www.princexml.com/> is fully functional and free
for academic dissertations and demonstration use but adds a front
page to the document.