[TxMt] Using FileMerge with Subversion

Trevor Harmon trevor at vocaro.com
Wed May 17 08:50:14 UTC 2006

There's a pending patch [1] that gives TextMate's Subversion bundle
automatic support for graphical diff utilities like BBDiff.
Unfortunately, I haven't gotten this patch to work with FileMerge
because FileMerge and its command-line launcher, opendiff, take non-
standard arguments and thus aren't compatible with Subversion.
Although wrapper scripts are available, the best one I've used so far
[2] has been rather flaky: sometimes it simply fails to launch
FileMerge.

Today, however, I discovered a new FileMerge wrapper script [3] that
seems totally reliable and works quite nicely with the patch. So, to
use FileMerge with Subversion, here's what you do:

* Install the patch
* Put the script somewhere (chmodding it to executable)
* Add this to ~/.subversion/config:
diff-cmd = <path to script>

After that, any Subversion diffs you do will be handled by FileMerge.

Trevor

[1] http://macromates.com/ticket/show?ticket_id=48F737BE
[2] http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/trunk/contrib/client-side/svn-
viewdiff