[TxMt] Smart typing question

Brad Choate bchoate at gmail.com
Wed May 17 00:46:33 UTC 2006

It would be most helpful if TextMate would track this a little better...

When I type a smart pair key, TM should take note of the position of
the closing character. If I type additional smart pair keys, it keeps
track of each position. These positions are kept as long as I'm on
that line. If I navigate away, the list is lost. Hitting the tab key
would take me to the last position recorded. Tabbing again would go
to the next, etc.

	So, typing "(", would yield (numbers are used to show tab positions,
in order of where you'd go next if hitting the tab key; "|" is the
caret position):

		(|)1

	Then, typing ":

		("|"1)2

	Then typing "Testing"

		("Testing|"1)2

	Then hitting tab:

		("Testing"|)1

	Then typing ", 10":

		("Testing", 10|)1

	Then hitting tab:

		("Testing", 10)|

That feels rather natural to me. Maybe tab isn't the right key since
it could have side effects with other tab triggers... I'm not sure
what would be a better alternative though.

-Brad