[TxMt] Re: Command-/ (Comments) not working

Allan Odgaard throw-away-1 at macromates.com
Fri May 5 18:05:47 UTC 2006

On 5/5/2006, at 19:18, David Chin wrote:

> Actually, this brings up the issue of how robust bundle scripts
> must be. I am assuming it would be possible to write this bundle
> using an earlier version of Ruby. My opinion is that it should be
> done that way. It seems like requiring an external installation
> of Ruby of a particular version is crufty

Generally we try to keep Ruby 1.6 compatibility, but Tiger ships with
Ruby 1.8, and 96% of TextMate users are using Tiger. As for the last
4%, many have upgraded to Ruby 1.8, even though they are still on
Panther.

So as you can imagine, limited resources go into ensuring that bundle
scripts work out-of-the-box for those 2% or so of users still using
Ruby 1.6 -- but we do gladly accept patches to fix compatibility
issues with Ruby 1.6!

> The Source bundle is pretty much required for any coding work.
> Maybe its functions,
> especially the toggle comment on region, should somehow be 'built-in'
> rather than be an add-on.

Both the Source bundle and the Python bundle ships with TextMate. So
in that respect, it is a ‘built-in’.