[TxMt] Infinite loop bug in ctags?

Gerd Knops gerti-textmate at bitart.com
Wed May 3 18:24:04 UTC 2006

On May 2, 2006, at 6:54 PM, Trevor Harmon wrote:

> I seem to have discovered an infinite loop bug in ctags, which
> TextMate depends on.

As others have noted TmCodeBrowser uses ctags and causes TextMate to
hang when ctags hangs.

I am not sure if the Exuberant tags (http://ctags.sourceforge.net/)
are actively maintained at the moment, there are several known bits
of text that can make it hang. Fixing that in ctags requires a bit
more than casual poking.

So with the next version of TmCodeBrowser it will read from ctags
asynchronously in the background. That way TextMate will be
encapsulated from any ctags problems. If ctags should fail to answer
within a reasonable amount of time TmCodeBrowser will terminate it.

I plan to release that version of TmCodeBrowser later today and will
announce it to the list.

Gerd