[TxMt] Re: overwriting opening tag doesn't mirror on the closing tag.

Eric O'Brien ericob at possibilityengine.com
Wed May 3 04:58:38 UTC 2006

On May 2, 2006, at 5:16 PM, Alain Ravet wrote:

> James
>    > Do this:
>    > 1.  control - shift - <
>    > 2.  Type:  div id="whatever"
>    > 3.  Arrow back until you are just after the v in div
>    > 4.  control - u
>    >
>    > Hope that helps.
>
> It did, thanks
>    (for 1. I pressed control-<, no shift)

Technically, you can't really press the "<" without also pressing the
shift key, as "<" is a shifted comma (as it were).  At least on US/
English keyboards.  So I'm not really sure what keys you were
pressing there!

That is:  "^-<" is the same as "^-shift-,"  [On my keyboard, anyway]

> , except that I couldn't replicate the double change mirroring that
> Alan does in the screencast :
>
>     div => DIV => div
>
> I can only do
>    div => DIV
> , but that's already a progress.
>

> Alain

Pressing those keys when there is NOT a selection should result in

appearing in the editor, with the first p highlighted.  Anything you
then type will replace BOTH p's.

Just after the part where Allan's movie show's   div => DIV => div
you can hear him say

    "Then I can tab into the body of this tag..."

That's a critical bit of info.  Once you move the insertion point
outside of the enclosing angle brackets, the "mirroring magic" will
be permanently gone.  Although its not visible, the editor (or
perhaps the text in question) is in a special state when it's first
created by the "^-<" keystroke.

You can change the first tag, and those changes will be mirrored in
the second tag but ONLY up to the point where you press <tab> or
otherwise move the insertion point OUTSIDE of the angle brackets.

eo