[TxMt] Bundles: R; LaTeX deep include parsing

Peter Cowan cowan.pd at gmail.com
Tue May 2 18:02:36 UTC 2006

> On May 1, 2006, at 6:55 PM, Peter Cowan wrote:
> >> 3) (Ideally, via a plugin probably) Be able to have a "session" with
> >> R, i.e. type commands and have their result appear. Each pressing of
> >> "return" should execute the current line in a running version of R,
> >> and insert the output on the next line.
> >
> > This shouldn't be too difficult, there is a shell command for running
> > R code.  R CMD BATCH.
> >
> Well, you do need to somehow keep it running in the background and
> interact with it. I haven't been able to do that in a nice way. I
> think R CMD BATCH might be more closely to what i am talking about in
> question 1. Problem is, I found no way to tell it to output the
> information to standard output instead of another file, unless I've
> missed something.
> See, what I want is to have R execute each command and return me the
> output so that I can start showing it, instead of running the entire
> program and then showing all the output.
> Exactly what happens with tmruby.

I'm not too savvy with writing commands yet, but perhaps R --slave can
do what you want.  It writes to standard output.  Every time it is
called might be a new instance of R though, which would be problematic
for evaluating previously assigned function etc.  I also don't know
how it handles figures.

Peter