[TxMt] A Static Gutter?

Rob Rix rix.rob at gmail.com
Tue May 2 15:14:23 UTC 2006

>>> In iTunes, Mail, etc, it's not actually a drawer (:
>>
>> No.. the iApps have a quite different style from everything else,
>> now. I kinda like the drawer as it is in TM :-).
>
> I like to think of it as the drawer... evolved ;-)

I like to be strictly pedantic and say "It's not a drawer at all." (:

> As a matter of fact, Mail for example used to use a drawer just
> like TM's.  The new way of doing it is much more clever IMHO.

Yes; I'm not sold on it for TM but I've never tried to visualize it,
or mock it up, or anything like that.

>>> I don't think I've resized the TM project drawer yet...
>>
>> I've only had to shrink it, a few times.
>
> Interesting to see how differently people use the same software.
> I'm constantly resizing that thing to read long filenames in a
> nested directory.

The main difference here is likely to be that I don't run into long
filenames at all, pretty much. Which means that the current drawer is
more than sufficient.

Now this is a key point: what I do NOT want to happen is to have
resizing the project "pane" also resize my text view. Which is what
the Mail/iTunes/etc system will do. Using something like RBSplitView
or whatever you can actually have it resize the window when you drag
the handle, but in my (and possibly _only_ my) opinion that's ugly
and un-Mac-like.

But whatever Allan does, I'll get used to, I'm sure-- like I said, I
don't think I've ever resized it.

Rob