[TxMt] Subversion and Merging?

Sune Foldager cryo at cyanite.org
Tue May 2 10:15:42 UTC 2006

On 02/05/2006, at 7:23, Eric Coleman wrote:

> I've read, and reread the svn book on branch / merging...
> And I still don't understand what im supposed to do.  I think I do
> this:
>
> 1) SVN Copy trunk to the new branch
> 2) checkout the branch, remove all files
> 3) put new files into branch, commit, etc
> 4) Delete files in trunk, merge branch to trunk
>
> I somehow don't think that's right, but I honestly am not sure.

If you're really creating an entirely new branch with no files
carried over, I would replace steps 1-2 with:
1) SVN mkdir the new branch in branches/
2) Commit that (nothing to clear or checkout).
3) Continue as above...

But really, why not do this:
1) Delete trunk.
2) Move in new files.
3) Commit.

I don't see a need for branches if you're just replacing the entire
system. If you want to keep the old one around, create a tag or
branch for it _before_ you do the steps above.

I think your scenario is rather rare, in svn supported projects.

-- Sune.