[TxMt] performance ceiling

Allan Odgaard throw-away-1 at macromates.com
Tue May 2 07:02:44 UTC 2006

On 2/5/2006, at 0:32, Oliver Taylor wrote:

> [...] It seems like I'm hitting some kind of performance ceiling
> when typing
> in lines with more than 400 characters [...] Is TextMate ill-
> equipted to handle lines this long or is my machine messed up?
> Anyone else out there see this same thing? Any suggestions?

Performance for line editing is proportional with the length of the
line.

When a line is edited, the entire line needs to be re-parsed for
syntax highligthing (and will be read-only, i.e. stall if you edit)
until it’s done. The entire line will be re-spell checked (if you
have spell checking enabled), and the spell checker seems to have
performance trouble on slower systems, the entire line will need to
be relayouted (even though it’s fixed width fonts, yes) and redrawn,
unless you enable soft wrap, and that is slow as well.

So to reach optimal performance (or experiment with it), one would
disable spell check as you type, enable soft wrap, and switch to
Plain Text as language. I have ordered them in assumed most-to-least
gain.