[TxMt] Bundles: R; LaTeX deep include parsing

Charilaos Skiadas cskiadas at uchicago.edu
Tue May 2 00:23:59 UTC 2006

On May 1, 2006, at 6:55 PM, Peter Cowan wrote:

> On 5/1/06, Charilaos Skiadas <cskiadas at uchicago.edu> wrote:
>> 1) Be able to run the whole file and see the output in a nice html
>> window, like it happens with Ruby. I've tried to make that work, but
>> was unable to.
>> 2) Instant tooltip help on current word.
>
> This would be great, do any other language bundles have a similar
> feature?
> I'd like to be able to get any help on the selected word, preferably
> the local (harddrive) help but the web would be fine.

I was thinking of just the information that is provided when you
type ?cmd in R. Not sure if other bundles have something like this,
maybe the obj-c one does.

>> 3) (Ideally, via a plugin probably) Be able to have a "session" with
>> R, i.e. type commands and have their result appear. Each pressing of
>> "return" should execute the current line in a running version of R,
>> and insert the output on the next line.
>
> This shouldn't be too difficult, there is a shell command for running
> R code.  R CMD BATCH.

Well, you do need to somehow keep it running in the background and
interact with it. I haven't been able to do that in a nice way. I
think R CMD BATCH might be more closely to what i am talking about in
question 1. Problem is, I found no way to tell it to output the
information to standard output instead of another file, unless I've
missed something.
See, what I want is to have R execute each command and return me the
output so that I can start showing it, instead of running the entire
program and then showing all the output.
Exactly what happens with tmruby.

>> 6) Syntax check, if possible.
>
> I imagine this would be difficult because each package can have
> different syntax requirement, can you be more specific by what you are
> looking for?

Not sure really, just threw it there as an idea. I am not far into it
to packages yet, so I was really thinking of the standard commands.
But I guess this is in part provided by the syntax highlighting.

> I would like a quicker way to send the current selection to R.app.  I
> don't know if this is possible, but the current method can be sluggish
> for longer scripts.

I just don't want to even have R.app running, ideally. Most work
should be doable from within TM, that's what (3) above is intended
for. But it just seems to me that R does not provide, at least it is
not clear to me if it does, enough functionality to support programs
hooking on to it and becoming its front-ends. But I must say I
haven't spent much time with it yet.

> I also modified the language definition to include parenthesis for
> folding as often my plot command span several lines and it's nice to
> hide them.
>
> Peter

Haris