[TxMt] Re: CocoaDialog stalls with stdin

Allan Odgaard throw-away-1 at macromates.com
Thu Mar 30 21:42:28 UTC 2006

On 30/3/2006, at 23:32, Charilaos Skiadas wrote:

> I don't know if it was intentional, but your reply broke the
> threading for me now. :)
> Do you have some reference for this code you mention?

I think it’s because the: [TxMt] Re: «topic» turned into Re: [TxMt]
«topic», which confirms that it’s just a subject grouping with one or
two normalization rules.

> I still find it gets it right most of the time in mailing lists, so
> that's mainly where I use it.

It could do better. Have a look at actual threading (the screen grab
was taken by Jacob, hopefully he don’t mind my linking to it):

    http://hcs.harvard.edu/~jrus/TextMate/gmane-thunderbird.png

For mailing lists this would be _so_ much better.

> Where it fails miserably is in email from friends with no subject,
> or maybe a common one word subject. Then it ends up putting
> together things that have nothing to do with each other.

Imagine how much mail I get with topics such as TextMate, Suggestion,
Feedback, etc. all nicely “threaded” by Mail ;)

Pre-Tiger Mail actually did use the in-reply-to header. Maybe Apple
(also) had too many problems with people doing a reply to a mailing
list letter when they should have selected New Letter instead.