[TxMt] Huge files in Textmate ( ***long*** )

Afternoon afternoon at uk2.net
Tue Mar 28 17:08:39 UTC 2006

On 28 Mar 2006, at 14:10, Allan Odgaard wrote:

> It has to parse the text using NFA-based regular expressions (not
> an efficient parser written/generated for the grammar), and it
> assigns colors to the text using a scope selector system.

Did I see you mention somewhere that you'd built your own RE engine
for some parts TextMate? If so, how does that compare to off-the-
shelf parsers for speed?

> So while it can probably be made faster down the road, taking up to
> a second is likely not indicative of any performance problem
> (especially since it’s threaded), it’s just the price to pay for
> the flexibility this system provides.

Of course, it is very flexible. It's just a bit surprising when we're
used to other editors parsing and highlighting text instantly.

We're cycling through Cambodia to raise money for Oxfam, help us
raise £5,200!
http://cambodiachallenge.org/