[TxMt] Zap gremlins

Corey O'Connor coreyoconnor at gmail.com
Tue Mar 21 02:02:51 UTC 2006

Does the "Remove Unprintable Characters in Document" command take into
consideration the character encoding of the file? In a brief
experiment with the supplied file I found that in some encodings the
byte sequences was printed, but in others (UTF-8) the byte sequence
was not printed.

-Corey

On 3/20/06, Trevor Harmon <trevor at vocaro.com> wrote:
> On Mar 20, 2006, at 4:51 PM, Chris Thomas wrote:
>
> >> Has anyone written a "zap gremlins" command for TextMate? BBEdit
> >> has this, but an equivalent doesn't seem to be available in
> >> TextMate. Thanks,
> >
> >  Text > Remove Unprintable Characters in Document
>
> Ah, thanks for the pointer. I completely missed that.
>
> Unfortunately, it doesn't work. That is, it doesn't work like
> BBEdit's Zap Gremlins. The problem is that TextMate's version is too
> conservative. With Zap Gremlins, I have the option of removing any
> non-ASCII characters, while TextMate only removes "unprintable"
> characters. A case in point:
>
> http://vocaro.com/trevor/files/t.cc
>
> Compiling the above in g++ gives:
> t.cc:8: error: stray '\194' in program
> t.cc:8: error: stray '\160' in program
>
> The problem characters are 0xC2 and 0xA0, which apparently are
> "printable" (according to TextMate) but are not compilable.
>
> Perhaps we simply need an extra command: "Remove non-ASCII Characters
> in Document".
>
> Trevor

-Corey O'Connor