[TxMt] Zap gremlins

Trevor Harmon trevor at vocaro.com
Tue Mar 21 01:51:28 UTC 2006

On Mar 20, 2006, at 4:51 PM, Chris Thomas wrote:

>> Has anyone written a "zap gremlins" command for TextMate? BBEdit
>> has this, but an equivalent doesn't seem to be available in
>> TextMate. Thanks,
>
>  Text > Remove Unprintable Characters in Document

Ah, thanks for the pointer. I completely missed that.

Unfortunately, it doesn't work. That is, it doesn't work like
BBEdit's Zap Gremlins. The problem is that TextMate's version is too
conservative. With Zap Gremlins, I have the option of removing any
non-ASCII characters, while TextMate only removes "unprintable"
characters. A case in point:

http://vocaro.com/trevor/files/t.cc

Compiling the above in g++ gives:
t.cc:8: error: stray '\194' in program
t.cc:8: error: stray '\160' in program

The problem characters are 0xC2 and 0xA0, which apparently are
"printable" (according to TextMate) but are not compilable.

Perhaps we simply need an extra command: "Remove non-ASCII Characters
in Document".

Trevor