[TxMt] Zap gremlins

Jeff Abbott jeff.abbott at duke.edu
Tue Mar 21 00:26:53 UTC 2006

On Mar 20, 2006, at 6:26 PM, Pawel Szymczykowski wrote:

> On 3/20/06, Trevor Harmon <trevor at vocaro.com> wrote:
>> Has anyone written a "zap gremlins" command for TextMate? BBEdit has
>> this, but an equivalent doesn't seem to be available in TextMate.
>
> Please forgive me if I react in total and absolute confusion but..
> what????

 From the BBEdit User Manual:

   This command displays a sheet which allows you to remove or
replace various non-
   printing characters, often known as “gremlins”. Use this command
when you have a
   file that may contain extraneous control characters, or any non-
ASCII characters, which
   you wish to identify or remove.

It allows you to selectively remove non-ASCII characters, control
characters, and/or null (ASCII 0) characters, and either delete them,
replace them with their character code, or replace them with a
specified character (defaulting to the standard bullet (•) character).

I can't answer Trevor's question, but hopefully that clears up what
he's asking for those of you who haven't used BBEdit before.

Thanks,
Jeff