[TxMt] too much space in pasting?

Kearney Buskirk kearney at lightthrumedia.com
Thu Mar 16 01:06:08 UTC 2006

Hello Folks

>> [...]
>> This app is not very accessible to non-programmers. Maybe that's
>> how you prefer it. Some beginning and mid-level tutorials and/or
>> movies would help a lot.
>
> There is a screencast feed [1] that you may want to check out.

I've gone to the screencast page and tried to play most of the
movies. I get no sound from those movies. (QT7.0, 10.4.4 here, fast
cable connection on G5 dual 2.3, 2 gigs of RAM.) Looking at them,
they seem to be much more about Python or Ruby than about TextMate.

> It is however a versatile text editor intended mainly for
> programmers. What tutorials and/or movies are you expecting?

Tutorials taking the new user step-by-step through accomplishing a
typical task and showing how to best use TextMate's features at each
stage.

On the order of: Here's an empty page. Now do ____ to best start
making your HTML page. Next enter this text. Then manipulate it with
this feature in this way in order to accomplish____. etc. etc.

Tutorials for various levels of expertise. Maybe with downloadable
example files and files to start tutorials with.

Movies showing TextMate's operations (screens with voice-overs).
Looking over the shoulder of an expert user really explaining what's
being done. Make learning the app as easy as possible - remove any
obstacles.

In learning many apps, I've noticed I learn best and most easily
through doing, application, tutorials and examples. Manuals are fine
as references but don't work well to learn use of the app. Most
significant apps come with tutorials as part of the instruction, and
for good reason.

Thanks for your response Allan.

Kearney Buskirk