[TxMt] Extremely slow pasting of text

Michael Ströck michael at stroeck.com
Mon Mar 6 23:14:49 UTC 2006

Hi all,

I'm having problems with big files. TextMate, for me, is practically
unuseable for many applications, and I'm not sure wether something is
wrong, or I'm just witnessing limitations of the app itself.

TextMate takes upwards of 3 minutes to paste moderately long pieces
of text (30-70 KB) without line breaks. I use TextMate to edit
Wikipedia entries, which are sometimes badly formated. Thirty
thousand characters and not a newline in sight. When I copy texts
like that and try to paste them into TextMate, it practically dies.
Three times out of five, it won't recover. If it comes back, it's
unbearably slow and practically unuseable. Am I doing something
wrong, or is this a known issue? I am on a G4 1,25GHz with 1 GB of RAM.

Firefox's textfields can handle pasting and editing of 1MB snippets
(I tried) without a hitch, EVEN in those JavaScript rich editor
abominations, which probably aren't the most optimized pieces of code
ever to parse text. And that's with all the other crap going on, like
10 tabs open and several exensions installed.

What's going on?

Michael Ströck