[TxMt] Persistent Includes?

Eric O'Brien ericob at possibilityengine.com
Fri Mar 3 23:46:52 UTC 2006

Actually, the concept of using a _dynamic_ tool to build static sites
has just become of interest to me!

Until recently I only had to be concerned with the theory of building
a web site.  Now I'm faced with building a couple of small, but real,
sites.  Just the other day, I changed the name of one of the main
html files and realized I'd also have to change the text where that
file was linked in all the navigation menus that existed on every
page.  Gaaa!  "Where is the 'include' functionality in HTML?"

Well, of course that's not where it is.  The site I want to deploy
isn't really "dynamic" at all.  I just want the convenience, when I'm
building it, of having repetitive parts that are common to many pages
located in only ONE place.

While I don't know PHP, I bet I can figure out how to get include()
to work for this simple case.  So Allan's recent suggestion of how to
process a PHP site that results in a static site was very
interesting.  I suppose you could use any kind of "preprocessor" that
you wanted.

(By the way, "Persistent Includes" is a BBEdit thing. They're
documented in the BBEdit manual in Appendix C: "Placeholders and
Include Files.")

eo