[TxMt] Growl instead of tool tips

Duane Johnson duane.johnson at gmail.com
Thu Mar 2 19:42:50 UTC 2006

On Mar 2, 2006, at 6:11 AM, Allan Odgaard wrote:

> On 1/3/2006, at 17:03, Fred B. wrote:
>
>> 1) How can I catch the output of svn commands?
>
> Currently not really possible w/o editing them. But we could work
> in e.g. a bash (or Ruby) function into the command init which we
> use for “status information”, and that functcion could optionally
> be sourced from a location in ~ -- that way, the user would be able
> to provide his own status information hooks.
>
> But I am not entirely sure what the best approach is here.
>
>> 2) More generally, wouldn't it be nice to add Growl to the output
>> options? What do you think Allan?
>
> I am not really liking that -- Growl is an optional install, so not
> all will have it, meaning that TM shoukd probably hide the option,
> when Growl isn’t installed, and have commands fall back to tool tip
> output or similar.
>
> If that becomes the case, I would much rather see that handled
> entirely as a bash (or Ruby) function, which commands then make use
> of, as that is more extensible and (to me) appears less hardcoded.
>
> As for tool tips, I think the suggestions (from Brad) about a)
> ignoring mouse movement e.g. for the first 1-2 seconds, and/or b)
> require a little more mousing for it to hide, would be nice
> improvements.

How about supporting the new CocoaDialog 2.0 "bubble" dialog[1]?  If
it could be tied in to work with Growl, that would be a nice way to
make a standard status information box with optional growl support.

Duane Johnson
(canadaduane)
http://blog.inquirylabs.com/

[1] See http://cocoadialog.sourceforge.net/
documentation.html#bubble_control for a screenshot and http://
cocoadialog.sourceforge.net/examples.html#bubble for example code.